QUALIFICATION OPTIONS: OCR GCSE Additional Science, Edexcel GCSE combined Science.
- Mr Myall
- Mrs Reid
- Ms Halsall: Laboratory Technician
Science teaches an understanding of natural phenomena. It aims to stimulate pupils curiosity in finding out why things happen in the way they do. It teaches methods of enquiry and investigation to stimulate creative thought. Pupils learn to ask scientific questions and begin to appreciate the way Science will affect their future on a personal, national and global level.
The aims of the Science curriculum at Chadwick High School are to enable pupils to:
- Use a range of scientific methods and techniques to develop and test ideas and explanations
- Work safely and assess risks while planning and carrying out practical and investigative activities
- Use primary and secondary sources, including ICT, to obtain data, communicate scientific information and contribute to presentations and discussions about scientific issues
- Analyse and evaluate scientific evidence and present their conclusions clearly and accurately.
Key Stage 3
Key stage 3 pupils have three Science lessons each week. Topics are arranged to allow for practical activities depending on seasonal changes and linked to everyday life events. (How Science Works). The work is selected to support the progress of pupils individually. Pupils will be assessed throughout using level assessed tasks and /or test questions. The route of progression of topics for Key Stage 3 is continually reviewed and adapted throughout the year to suit individual pupil needs.
Key Stage 4
Key stage 4 pupils have four Science lessons each week. Year 10 pupils will be taught the Edexcel combined Science course to be examined at the end of year 11, this provides two GCSE’s. Year 11 pupils will take OCR Additional Science GCSE as a progression of the Core Science GCSE course followed last year. All GCSE examinations at key stage 4 will be offered at foundation and higher level depending on the ability of each individual pupil.
Appropriate revision work is provided for pupils to support their learning. Pupils are encouraged to complete these tasks throughout the academic year as ongoing homework and assessment opportunities.